Saturday, May 29, 2010

One Blind Date....Twice Removed

Tonight was another waste of the pretty.

I got a text from a phone number I didn't recognize a few weeks ago.  The text asked if I would be interested in going out with someone who knows someone who is single. You know....a friend of a friend who has a friend who is single. 

After my last two dating experiences (which will be shared later), I had sworn off dating, but once I figured out who sent me the text, I decided, "Why not?"  Direct blind dating hadn't paid off before but maybe distant blind dating might be the answer......After our date tonight, distant dating doesn't seem to be the cure to my single disease either.

Our first phone conversation didn't leave me with a great impression, but ever the super dating trooper, I conceded to go out.  He actually asked me what I thought of the weather.  Really!?!?!?  You want to talk about the weather!?!?!?!

Our 2nd conversation went better.  It was good enough that I was almost (and I stress almost) excited to go out.  I found out he was 56 and in his words...."an old bastard".  Uh, yeah, that's a little too old for me.  So far, 57 is the record.  And that was a big, big stretch.

We met for dinner at Market Street on 106th South (my suggestion).  We arrived about the same time.  Speaking of time, I need to mention that he wanted to beat the dinner crowd, so apparently, even 5:00 was too late. I forgot for a minute that I was going out with a senior citizen.  Had I left the decision to him, we probably would have gone to Sizzler or the Golden Corral to take advantage of the senior citizen discount. We met at 4:30!!!  I was still full from lunch.  Who goes to dinner at 4:30!?!?!?  The good news is, that I was home before 7:00 and can now work on my church talk that I continue to put off.  While this guy was OK (and by OK, I mean he didn't have 8 kids and was not a convicted felon which sadly, is a step up from the last two I went out with), we are NOT a match.  He's too old, too short and wants to go to dinner too early.  He also hasn't been to church in 7 years and told me that since I am on a calling break that I will be in his inactive shoes in 7 years.  Tempting, but probably won't happen.  I hear people using their single status as an excuse to not go to church.  Personally, I think that is lame.  Since when did religion only work if you are married?  I think you probably need extra heavenly help when you are married, but again, lame excuse.  I can think of many other reasons to not go to church, marital status is not even in the top 10.  But apparently, according to him, the fact that I live in Provo makes my ward  different than wards in SLC, so it's OK to be single in Provo, but not in SLC. 

Fingers crossed he didn't like me.  That will be easier than if he did and then I have to tell him that that age/height/church activity level differences are too much for me to overcome. 

Special dating tip:  When a guy says he is 5'10" that really translates to at least 2" shorter than his actual height.  So factor that in when going out and plan to wear shoes according to his ACTUAL height.     

Quick update on the 83 yr. old.:  He called me on Mother's Day and left a message wanting to know if I would join him at the old folks home to listen to a youth group, then go grab a little dinner.  Even that probably would have been later than today's 4:30 dinner date.  I then heard nothing from him and thought that maybe he had moved on with someone closer to his age or in all reality, he very well could have passed away.  Then he called and I decided it was time to nip this in the bud.  He told me he hadn't contacted me because he'd been in the hospital. He asked me out and I told him firmly twice that we absolutely cannot go out.  That appears to be the end of that tale, but since he doesn't have full mental capacity, he may have forgotten I turned him down.   

Oh the joys of dating. 

4 comments:

  1. I can testify that the height thing is true. They are always shorter than they say!!1

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you started a blog. These are hilarious stories that should be shared! I can't believe we haven't gotten together yet - and we're moving again in August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering how this date went...Well, at least you had free dinner/late lunch out of the deal. Maybe instead of "dates" you should call them "free dinners" or "free late lunches" as the case/age may dictate. He didn't make you split a burger though did he? Ha! Ha! Sorry your dates are bad but it sure makes for entertaining blog reading!

    ReplyDelete